Friday, February 4, 2011

An extraordinary experience...

It’s a bittersweet sentiment knowing in less than a week we’ll be opening this production. I’m so excited to present this to an audience, to show people what we get to experience day to day. I think Romeo and Juliet is such an incredible ballet because so much can be shared by both audience and dancer.  Audience members can be certain that while they cry or fight the lump in their throat from their views, most of us will be in the wings doing the same. I don’t know if that can be said for every ballet. I think the most remarkable sight I’ve seen in awhile was a young audience member watching one of our run-throughs this week. I glanced over at the girl, no more than ten years old, during the final scene and to my surprise she was sobbing. Her mother comforted her with an “I know sweetheart” as the young girl glanced at her both shocked and heart-broken. It was so fulfilling to see someone so young with such a reaction. Chloe Horne and Stefan Calka, the dancers portraying the star-crossed lovers, received the first standing ovation that day.
Romeo and Juliet in a way helped me realize that ballet was what I wanted to do. As I write, a rehearsal for the balcony pas de deux is taking place; music that has fueled my passion since I was young. I remember seeing it for the first time, not knowing the ballet but I played the video repeatedly. Maybe a year later, I got a copy of the music for my birthday. I think many dancers here have written something similar; how special this ballet is or how it’s affected their career. The score, the story, the choreography is something special. I’m so honored to have been able to be in such a wonderful production, with such a wonderful cast. “The desire to share something special, an extraordinary experience, that’s what brings people together.”
Now - a full run-through with an audience already lining up.
See you in the theatre!
 
Meghan

No comments:

Post a Comment