Monday, February 7, 2011

Nina Baratova

I am fortunate and honored to say that I was the original Juliet in Ron Cunningham's premiere production of Romeo and Juliet in 1992. There are not too many ballerinas who can say they had a role created on them, and especially one of such depth and richness as that of Shakespeare's tragic heroine. I was 20 years old at the time, and did not fully comprehend the magnitude of what was happening in the studio. I was just doing what I was most passionate about, dancing. Now, as I reflect on that time, nearly twenty years ago, I realize how truly awesome it was being Ron's muse, creating those steps that today's Juliets will dance, exploring for the first time Ron's vision of this ballet, and discovering the Juliet within me.
It is a thrill for me to come back nearly two decades later and dance the role of Lady Capulet, Juliet's mother. Someone once told me that ballerinas are born after 30. I now realize what they meant, the point when instinct is replaced by life experience. As I listen to the corrections Carinne gives the Juliets, I recall hearing the same thing but having it carry a very different meaning when I danced the role. With a bit more life experience under my belt, and two children of my own, I understand more accutely the entire progression of Juliet's character, from an innocent and naiive child, to a passionate, sometimes desperate, but always strong woman capable of the ultimate sacrifice for love. The unfortunate irony of ballet is that once the soul fully blossoms, the body begins to wither. This is why character roles were created....To me, Lady Capulet is very much like Juliet; she is, after all, her flesh and blood. They share the same hot-blooded passion, the same desire for love. The difference between mother and daughter is that Juliet was not willing to conform to the duties and social expectations of her time. Where Juliet's spirit was free, Lady Capulet's was bound by duty. There are elements of each character within me, as within us all, and it is such a rewarding experience to come back, full circle, after so many years, and be the mature version of Juliet, the mature version of myself.
Nina

1 comment: