Thursday, January 27, 2011

Emotional Rollercoaster!

Today we ran through the full production of Romeo and Juliet for the first time. Getting to the “pointe”, it was the most amazing emotional rollercoaster! The first day of run-throughs is always my favorite day - when we’re so invested in the complete ballet that we allow ourselves to “forget” the technicality of everything (well, not really!) and just let the power of the ballet take over. It doesn’t matter how many times I have seen or danced each section, the ballet really takes it shape and evolves on day 1 of run-throughs.

This is the first time that I’ve ever danced in a production of Romeo and Juliet, though I was already very familiar with the storyline. I knew that Romeo and Juliet was going to be extremely emotional, but I never realized to what extent. As a market dancer, I am on stage and acting during the sword fighting scenes (which is both exciting and dangerous!). Imagine in previous rehearsals, I was acting the role without the benefit of the sword fighting around me. Rehearsing my role in the market scene with the entire cast today was exhilarating. For the first time, I was able to lose myself in my acting. I did not need to” act” the role - I genuinely felt it. I truly felt the terror, laughter, and thrill that would have been felt throughout the market place.

I have so much respect and admiration for the dancers dancing Romeo and Juliet: Alex, Amanda, Chloe, Stefan, and Rick. They put so much effort into developing their characters and this is really what makes this ballet so captivating. Watching Stefan and Amanda rehearse today was truly awe-inspiring. I have never witnessed a ballet (or a studio rehearsal) that made me feel so in love and heart-broken at the same time! For me, the best and worst part is when Juliet wakes up after Romeo has killed himself. I immediately started crying because Juliet emotes such joy when she first awakens, yet we
as the audience know that her whole world is about to come crashing down.

I hope that everyone can come to see this ballet. The tale of Romeo and Juliet really comes alive in Sacramento Ballet’s production. There is such beauty in the story that only ballet can convey with such subtlety and passion. So please encourage your friends to come. You will not be disappointed!

Lauryn

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Lauryn! You've made me ache to come experience this ballet with your description of your first run-through! Enjoy living every moment of it! How exciting! --Leca Moose

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friend Catherine and I just watched the full Rehearsal at the studio yesterday, it brought tears to our eyes, it was that beautiful and Stefan and Amanda are So amazing together. The emotion pulls you in and you really FEEL the LOVE and Heartache and Passion and Sadness...

    ReplyDelete