Saturday, January 15, 2011

The Man Behind the Lens - Keith Sutter

The Sacramento Ballet is blessed to work with individuals like Keith Sutter.  Keith is a renowned professional photographer, shooting for the likes of National Geographic, The Times, North Face, The US Air Force .... and us!  For the past two weeks Keith has been in and out of the studio capturing every aspect of Romeo and Juliet - from intimate rehearsals, to the swishing of swords, to wardrobe!  He has been posting his pictures via is photography Facebook account - but this unsolicited "note" he wrote for his latest album simply must be shared again here!  Thank you Keith!

I choose to be involved with the Sacramento Ballet for purely selfish reasons. It might look as if I am a good citizen donating his time and experience for a cherished non-profit, and while that might be one way to look at it, trust me when I say that is not my intention. My intention is to capture some of the energy and passion that this company of individuals generates, and to infuse my life with a shot of it. Our world is messed up in so so many ways. Our priorities are tweaked, we spend a disproportionate amount of time pursuing what we're "supposed to," instead of what we want to. Our education, the stores we shop in, the news we watch, are all standardized. Technologies' advancement of productivity doesn't give us more free time, it makes us take on more and more. We are stuck on a treadmill that is rapidly gaining speed. The craziest part about it is that most of us are fully aware of all of this and yet we still consent to this way of life. Photographing the Sacramento Ballet is my way of protesting this existence. Here are a bunch of individuals that refuse to play by life's rules. They dance! While most of society is stuck on the damn treadmill, these people are dancing. And several times a year they put on a magnificent performance for all of us to see. I swear when I watch them in all of their glory, it's like time stops, things are momentarily as they ought to be. I breath more deeply, I squeeze my wife's hand, I feel nourished. Being sentimental, I don't want the moment and feeling to pass, so I try to bottle it with my camera. I take photographs of the Sacramento Ballet for me, that they get to use them is simply a smoke screen so that I can continue tapping into their energy.  Here is a sampling of this weeks photos from the Sacramento Ballet's preparation for Romeo and Juliet. For more info on their next performances and how you can tap into their energy visit:

www.sacballet.org

No comments:

Post a Comment