Wednesday, January 12, 2011

"As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee."


Romeo and Juliet for me thus far has been an awesome experience! I have to say the most exciting part of the rehearsal process has been working with Dexter Fidler (our fight master) on the fight scenes. I will be playing the role of Tybalt which I'm sure most of you know kills Romeo's good friend Mercutio, and is eventually killed by Romeo himself. So this means that I am lucky enough to get to learn two separate sword fighting sequences (though I'm not going to lie, my right arm is so sore from the 5 hours of rehearsing I had on Tuesday)! 
Dexter is a great teacher, and although he is pushing the choreography out there for us he is understanding and knows that most of us haven't used a fencing sword before. I feel like I've got the basic technique and terminology down now and I am finding it easier to pick up all the phrases. 
I'm really excited and looking forward to the next few weeks of sword fighting as we finish learning the fight scenes, and ultimately performing an intense realistic fight onstage. It's going to be awesome!! 
Learning the Tybalt/Mercutio fight

-Richard

No comments:

Post a Comment