Monday, January 10, 2011

Alexandra Cunningham ... Juliet

What another incredible day of Romeo and Juliet rehearsals!  Practically my entire life, I have dreamed about what it would be like to be Juliet ~ sometimes I have to pinch myself to make sure that this is really happening!  As a kid, I remember feeling ecstatic when I came home from school to find that I was the only one home because that meant I could skip (errr ... postpone =D) my homework and dance to Prokofiev's fantastic score ... in the living room.  I would dance to every piece of that music, whether Juliet was supposed to or not, and even though I would get scolded for not doing my homework when my brother or parents arrived home, I didn't care - as cheesy as it sounds, I couldn't help but express my love for that music.  The score expresses every possible range of human emotion, and to get to dance to it, with the amazing and dedicated group of dancers that make up this company - now that is a real treat!  At the end of the rehearsal day, my body aches all over, my feet and arches sting, and my brain feels like it is on overload and unable to process even the most simple tasks (dinner then shower, or shower then dinner??) but it doesn't matter because I am so happy to have these moments, these "40 days" where I can live and breathe Romeo and Juliet.
~ Alexandra

No comments:

Post a Comment